Forum

Political discussion (about political parties, candidates, conspiracies, anti-vax, anti-mask, etc.) not allowed. This is a moderated forum, and posts which include personal information about others may be removed or edited, at the discretion of this website’s publisher. Please note that the 1st amendment does not apply to private forums accessible to the public. Commentary is to be considered opinion.

Adam's Rules of Dis...

Notifications
Clear all

Adam's Rules of Disorder (Interrupting/limiting debate)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 Tom
Admin
Topic starter
(@tom)

I've been a member of several organizations which adopted Roberts Rules of Order to guide meetings.  The basic concept is that everyone gets a chance to speak.  It's also possible to limit speakers' time by establisinhg an agreed-upon time limit.  Most competent organizations also distribute an Agenda before a meeting, outlining things planned to be discussed (e.Rg., "old business", "new business").

At the Sept. 26 "annual meeting", none of the Roberts Rules applied.  Most notably, Adam Birge shouted and yelled at me (a Board nominee) as I was about to speak, preventing me from distributing a printed one-page "issues" sheet I had prepared and preventing me from speaking.  According to Roberts Rules of Order, a "move to limit debate" can be called to end or limit the time for discussion and requires a 2/3 vote for approval.

The Harvest Ridge HOA (particularly its Board) could benefit greatly (as could homeowners) if the basic tenets of Roberts Rules of Order were followed.  A published agenda prior to meetings would be nice, too.